Thursday, June 3, 2010

New bookmark



After a slow start, I seem to be on a roll. I really wanted to combine the variegated red Lizbeth thread with a bright yellow, but the two size 20s didn't match very well and tatting with both was turning out to be a problem. After trashing two efforts, I decided to try combining crochet and tatting. I did my first project with half-closed rings to make a honeycomb-looking center, added a round of double crochet and then topped it off with a tatted chain for effect. I'm struggling with a name for the design. I'm considering Flaming Caverns, Crowned Fire, or (to accommodate the effect in other colors) Cavern Springs. Suggestions, anyone?

6 comments:

Jane Eborall said...

Pretty, pretty, pretty, clever, clever, CLEVER.

Typstatting said...

Lovely I think Flaming Cavern!!!!

IsDihara said...

This is definitely NOT your grandmother's bookmark -- hee, hee! (I just had to type that, because the crochet reminds me of granny squares.)

It is very eye-catching and ingeniously drafted. Great job!

As for names, it reminds me of a mandala (and here is an image of a silk veil to help you visualize:

http://www.gypsyderose.com/2009-Mandala-Gold-Red-Black.jpg

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

I DO see the resemblance to a mandala. And thank you, TypsTatting for your vote as well.

Fox said...

Yes, clever indeed! Very attractive.
Fox : )

Unknown said...

That is absolutely gorgeous! I cannot wait for the pattern!!! I like flaming cavern too because of the yellow.
I love Jane's comment...yes, it is pretty clever!
~TattingChic ♥