Thursday, June 17, 2010

More Tatting in Hospital

I'm still hanging out with Dad at the hospital. I've been doing some tatting, but even more untatting. I've made some of the dumbest mistakes! I guess I'm just too distracted. I've spent some time today catching up on reading the blogs of fellow tatters. There is an exciting thread exchange going on. I'm so disappointed that I'm not going to be able to participate, but thrilled that Fox has put this together. I'm going to enjoy watching the swapping.

Another thread for tatting has been recommended at the Two Shuttles blog -- it is bamboo! I found it in the Aunt Lydia brand by Coats and Clark. They say it is "naturally anti-bacterial, odor resistant, breathable and cool, 3 times more absorbent than cotton and durable and strong with a silky hand." I'm thinking this could be a good thread for tray mats, coasters, etc. that get wet with use. I'm going to be looking for it locally so I can see it and feel it for myself.

Even though I know it is too early, I'm watching the post for the arrival of my first pop-a-bobbin shuttle. They've already sold out again at Jane's Etsy shop, but I have a cedar one making its way across the ocean just for me!

Well, I think I'll pull out my shuttles and untat the last set of mistakes -- unfortunately the mistatted chain is a few rings and chains back. I may just cut it out. Horrible thought, I know!

6 comments:

Typstatting said...

Sorry to hear that you are still at the hospital but I hope your dad is getting better. Lucky you getting a new tatting shuttle. I may invest in a pop-a-bobbin next year. We are hoping to go to England next year so I may be able to get one then!!!!

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thank you. Progress is slow, but he is better. How exciting that you may get to visit England and pick out your shuttle in person. And tat with Jane, perhaps? Sounds like a great trip already.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that he's getting better. I've tatted with Aunt Lydia's before. While it's less expensive and you can get more on a ball of thread for less money; I've found the thread to be less smooth. If you sweat the least little bit the thread will expand and the thread is harder to tat with. I find DMC cordonet so much easier to tat with and I'll stick with that. That is what Yarnplayer uses to dye her HDT's with and of all the HDT Dyer's hers is the easiest to tat with! ;) I also love how vibrant and lovely her colorways are.

Gina said...

I posted a link on my blog awhile back about the properties of bamboo. I believe it was on DuhBe's blog (left side) and she explained quite a bit about it. It's not quite the wonderful fiber it's claimed to be but it does have many wonderful qualities. It's quite soft which isn't always the best thing for certain tatting patterns, just so you know beforehand. Good idea about the absorbancy though. I'm currently using a filet crochet initial coaster I made out of regular cotton. Not sure it's a good idea. LOL! It seems to absorb dirt too.

Paige Marie said...

The thread is exchange will be an on going thing, so if you're able to participate down the road, feel free to join in! :)

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thanks, everyone.