Monday, February 26, 2024

Starfish WIP complete, Reminiscing on Past Bobbin Lace Projects

 


Lisa Trumble's Starfish is finished in size 20 Lizbeth Color No. 136, variegated light blue and white. I've also been relearning the Catherine Wheel Join as I practice Catherine Wheels for design class. 

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I want to pick up bobbin lace-making again. The images to the right are scans of the very first pieces I made years ago using the two books also in the picture: The Torchon Lace Workbook by Bridget M. Cook and Lace for Children of All Ages. I gave away my work as fast as I made it, so there are no actual samples. I have a folder more than an inch thick of prickings and notes I used back then. The members of Lace@Arachne.com were a tremendous help and resource. Sue Hanson corresponded with me by email and snail mail. One letter from her speaks of my start into Bedfordshire lace. I'm afraid I have only vague memories of some of what I did. I do remember making the bobbin lace version of cluny tatting and finding it quite easy after all of the tatted ones I had made. I'm thankful my memory is currently functioning well, but I can't help regretting the loss of so much.

Anyway, I've been trying to decide just where to start as I begin again. I've narrowed it down to a couple of different bookmark patterns from other books. 

I'm making progress in Inkscape, too!

6 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

The starfish looks great. Good luck with your bobbin lace journey.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jane.

muskaan said...

Love the negative space in the center of the starfish!

God's Kid said...

Your starfish looks fantastic!! :)

Marilee Rockley said...

Pretty scans of bobbin lace! Have fun picking it up again. There are many video demonstrations on YouTube for bobbin lace techniques these days.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thank you all for the encouragement. I, too, love the negative space in the starfish, muskaan. It was part of what drew me to tat it to begin with. Yes, Marilee, I've found some of the bobbin lace videos as well as a Facebook group with monthly zoom meetings where I can get some help. In fact, I'm finding YouTube really helpful with tatting as well. I'm relearning some of the techniques.