Monday, June 20, 2016
I'm struggling to keep up with blog reading as I love seeing what the rest of you are doing, but it's a busy time of year here at home. I'm getting a little bit done now and then on the Concentric Rectangles Doily and the test tat for Jennifer by carting them around everywhere I go, but I'm just not getting much computer time. Keep the tatting and blogging going. Things will slow a bit starting next week, I think. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying time with my family.
Wednesday, June 15, 2016
While I haven't accomplished much tatting in the past week, I managed to be close to finishing a round in each of three of my projects. I made it my goal today to complete those unfinished rounds.
The Renulek tat-along doily is just over 20 cm in diameter at the end of round 8. I'm still behind by a few rounds, but I'm not going to worry about that. (Size 80)
The image on the top right is the tea cloth test tat I'm doing for Jessica. At this point I've completed round 3. The next round is several motifs with two rounds each. It is approximately 12 cm in diameter so far. (Size 40)
The bottom image is the Concentric Rectangles doily. Just two more rounds to go, although Edda says you can keep going to make it as big as you like. It is 15 cm by 22.5 cm thus far. (Size 20)
Wednesday, June 8, 2016
While I haven't tatted since the weekend, I do have a little bit of tatting I can share with you. I started test tatting the adaptation of a 1915 tea cloth pattern which has been done by Jessica Spaulding. You may have seen her beautifully colorful tatting of the center of this large piece at her blog. When I was much younger, the idea of doing a large piece of tatting did not interest me at all. I find, however, that the idea now intrigues me. I like the idea of making something a bit spectacular. I'm not yet up to a tatted bedspread (I've seen and touched a gorgeous one!), but this I think I can do. I chose size 40 DMC Cordonnet in white. It looks ecru in this photo, but it really is a nice white. At the completion of the bottom of row 2, the piece measures 4.5 cm.
Life has been full of grandchildren, baseball (5 games this week), and other child-related activities. We even made a trip to the zoo today. Butterbean is cutting 4 new teeth at once which has been trying at times for both of us. I've also got some sewing started. Tatting is low on my priority list for this week. At least one of the doilies I have in progress is always with me just in case, but the practice of new techniques like filet tatting and Ikuta overlapping picots in a ring will definitely have to wait. I love learning new things, so I can't bear to put either of those off much longer. Hopefully, I shall get to them next week. That's the plan anyway.
Don't be surprised if you don't see another post from me before the weekend, but I'll try to pop in to read your blogs now and then.
NOTE: If you want to see a scan of the original pattern showing what the final full-size doily looks like, Jessica has it here. I'm not sure how far I will go or what changes I may make as it gets larger, but I really like the center.
Saturday, June 4, 2016
Row 7 of Renulek's tat-along doily is now complete all in green. If you want to join the fun, the pattern starts here in her blog.
19 cm in diameter in DMC size 80
I think some of you will appreciate the use to which I put that failed effort at making a supersize Spinning Wheel Mat. After cutting the glass beads out, I gave it to Butterbean. She looks like she is pretending to tat it with her Tatsy shuttle, but who knows. She doesn't have enough language skill yet to tell me. :) Please forgive the slightly blurred photo. She was very busy.
Thursday, June 2, 2016
I opted to work on muskaan's Ikuta tutorial part 2 last night instead of my WIP after figuring out just what I need to do next on the WIP. I've been wanting to get to this ever since she put it up. As I commented at her blog, her tutorials are really helping me to have a solid feel for where my threads are and need to be all the time. I truly think I just got lucky when I worked through the class material the first time on my own because my tatting looked right, but I really didn't fully understand why or why not, if you know what I mean.
The first ring was made with the shuttle thread picots to the front. I thought that one would be the easiest one as it seemed obvious to keep the shuttle threads to the front. I found it hard to keep both threads on my left hand, so I resorted to dropping the ring thread off my hand each time.
My second effort (bottom left) was an attempt to keep the ball thread picots to the front. While you can't tell from the picture, I let my threads get messed up so that some stitches wound up upside down which also messed up the alignment of the picots making it appear one was missing. It took some major pushing and pulling to get everything back in place since I didn't notice it until I had closed the ring. To make sure that was just a fluke, I tatted it again (bottom right). As you can see my work is getting better looking with the 3rd ring. I have to say that, for me, tatting with the ball thread picots to the front was the easiest. I started out trying to keep both threads on my left hand with the ball threads to the front, but it just wasn't working out. I started tossing the ball thread over the back of my right hand to keep it out of the way when not in use. When I needed to tat with the ball thread, it worked best for me to open the ring loop large enough that it could slide back on my left hand a bit, thereby making room for the ball thread to take its place temporarily in front.
Tatting of Ninetta's butterfly has been delayed until I can work with the next installment of muskaan's tutorial which I'm sure will cover overlapping picots in a ring.