Friday, March 15, 2024

Beginner Tatters Can Design, Too!

 When my daughter, Sarah, was new to tatting at age 12, I encouraged her to start creating her own designs right away--just play with what she knew.  She had learned to make a ring, rings on bare thread, and rings and chains. She used these three elements to create this bookmark. It's a great way to use the last of the thread left on a shuttle. She shared it only with our close little tatting group at first, but when Mary McCarthey published it in the March 1997 issue of her newsletter, KNOTS!, Sarah was thrilled.

Sarah has given me permission to share this edited version with you that includes how I tat it in two rounds instead of three along with her original instructions. 


I eliminated the need for a separate starting ring soon after she designed it, by starting with the bare thread element and then combining the 'starting ring' with the ring and chain round resulting in two rounds instead of three. I am sharing the pattern as she originally made it, but including a diagram so you can explore other paths through the design. The long segments of bare thread combine with the tassel to create a fluid look that reminds me of jellyfish. I love it!

Designing and publishing your designs are two separate things. No matter your skill level, don't be afraid to play with your needles or shuttles. You may be amazed where your imagination and your fingers take you.

Have a great week, my friends, and happy tatting!

6 comments:

IsDihara said...

Thank you for sharing this post about letting your shuttles and needles take you on design adventures. What a delightful motif!

Margarets designer cards said...

What a great idea to get her designing while she learns, lovely design of an octopus

muskaan said...

The best way to consolidate learning is to apply it. Well done to both of you 🌺

God's Kid said...

That is a sweet memory!!! :)
And a great encouragement!! :)
The first thing I designed when I first learned to tat is the star that is my Blogger icon. ;)

Lavinia said...

That is really nice that your daughter created her own design. It looks very pretty! I'm sure she will continue to make great patterns.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thank you, all. It's been years since she has made time to tat, but I know she has kept her supplies and I hope she will pick it up again. She's an extremely busy woman at this point in her life.