Saturday, April 16, 2016

Benporath Cake Doyley Complete and Delivered

Many thanks to all of you who answered my call for feedback about adding the center medallion to Norma's Cake Doyley.  With a fair amount of trepidation, I decided to add the center medallion. It's done and delivered, and Mom was thrilled with it.
Norma suggested using the buttonhole stitch to sew around the motif, catching the outer picots as you sew. The first thing I had to do was an internet search for instructions on the buttonhole stitch. For a first effort, it came out pretty well. I was really nervous about cutting the fabric away behind the lace, but so glad I did once I saw the difference it makes. Laying the lace atop the fabric circle really didn't give me a clear idea of what it would look like once the fabric behind it was removed.


11 comments:

Karen in OR said...

Good choice. It's totally beautiful!!

Michelle said...

Oh wow! I'm glad you didn't listen to me! That turned out beautifully!

Jane Eborall said...

You are one VERY brave lady cutting the fabric away. It's gorgeous.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

It's gorgeous! I would have been more nervous about getting the medallion centered than cutting away the fabric. What a treasure!

Jane McLellan said...

Perfect! Good for you for going the whole way, it really looks good.

Madtatter80 said...

Oh you are a master with the shuttle and needle I am so happy you went for it and not sorry you did this is gorgeous, work love love love it!

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thank you all so much for the kind words. I was doubting the wisdom of it every step of the way. Cutting the fabric was probably the hardest part. Norma's instructions made it sound so simple, and it really wasn't the difficult task I expected it to be. Thanks to Norma, I am no longer afraid to do an insertion. Diane, I tried centering it by eyeing it and then I got out a ruler and carefully measured, shifted, measured, and shifted again. Then I pinned it into place before I started stitching.

God's Kid said...

An awesome gift there!!!! :)

Robin Perfetti said...

This is beautiful! I didn't even know it was possible to cut out the center part and stitch the tatting into it. I'm glad you decided to go with Norma's original representation of the pattern.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Robin, you sew the tatting into place with a buttonhole stitch BEFORE you cut the fabric out behind it.

Sarah said...

Stunning! I would have been terrified to cut the fabric too, but I'm so glad you did.