Friday, November 11, 2016

Tatting Awards, Please Vote! & 19th Day of December

Hello, everyone. I'm going to share some in-progress details about my latest Bjorn snowflake, but I also want to invite all of my blog readers to visit http://www.craftree.com/awards/current to vote in the Craftree 2016 Tatting Awards. You don't have to be a tatter or a member of the Craftree forum to vote. Just enjoy the links to the various works and select your favorites.

19th Day of December
from 24 Snowflakes in Tatting by Lene Bjorn
working #19 of 24 in this Craftree Challenge
DMC size 30


I really wanted to share the center of this snowflake with you. In Lene's diagram, the rings, split rings, and mock rings are numbered to progress in a counterclockwise direction. However, if you move from split ring #3 to mock ring ring #4-6, you are going to turn #3 around. The result is that you are going to have rings, SRs, and mock rings that face in different directions. By choosing to tat the center in a clockwise direction instead, all rings, split rings, and mock rings that form the center will be face up because there is no need to do any turns or reverses. (Thank you, muskaan for the TWoT exercises that helped me spot the advantages of making a different choice here.)

I'm not very happy with the appearance of the final split ring in the center. My SR is more rounded at its start than Lene's (see the arm on which I've begun the next round). As I look at the picture in the book, I don't see a gap at the center between #3 and #16 making me wonder if Lene joined to #3 before she began tatting #16. I'm hoping that blocking when it is done will help to make this gap less noticeable, but if I tat it again, I'm going to try joining to the base of #3 before I begin the final split ring to start the climb up to the next round.

10 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I agree it looks nicer too. 💟

Sally Kerson said...

I haven't got to this snowflake yet, but great to get some help with it beforehand, thank you so much

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your comments. They help me as I tackle this snowflake - a very attractive one for me. Mama Martin

God's Kid said...

Thanks for the tips!! :)
I can't wait to see your finished snowflake!!! :)

Margarets designer cards said...

I have not got to this snowflake just looked at the pattern and thought help, I think I will be back to read your piece again and again.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Hmmm... I think this snowflake will have to move to the back end of my list until I get split rings down!

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Yes, this one has rings, split rings, and rings thrown off self-closing mock rings. The nice thing is that these features make it possible to tat this snowflake from beginning to end without any breaks in your thread. If you start with your shuttles loaded CTM, you will have only the two final ends to deal with in your preferred method.

muskaan said...

I'm sure your tatting pathway is going to help me when I start tatting this flake ! Thanks for sharing this :-)
SRs do sometimes get 'turned around' & I often struggle to pull it into shape. Perhaps it has something to do with tensioning more tightly than normal ?

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

My goal with a split ring is usually that it shouldn't be obviously a split ring, but in this case, it would look better if it looked like two chain segments joined. I think it will look much better once it is blocked. At any rate, I'm going to continue with it as it is and see what I can do once the entire flake has been tatted.

Babs said...

it looks so nice.