Saturday, July 8, 2017

Doll Sock (or Shoe) for Butterbean

Hi, everyone. I've missed you all so much, and I know I have loads of blog reading to catch up on. Today, though, I thought I'd try to get a couple of posts ready for you to catch you up on what little tatting I've managed to do in the past 6 months.

My last post was a picture of the socks I trimmed for Butterbean. Her cloth doll has a matching dress and really needed a coordinating look for her feet. Those are the oddest shaped doll feet I've ever examined up close. Designing something was a real challenge.

Computer glitches today ate the lovely posed pictures of this doll in her socks. This is one of the in-progress ones I took before I made up my mind about the final ribbon placement, but you can get the idea.
Doll Socks (Shoes)
Motif #5 in 25 Motif Challenge of 2017
Base in Lizbeth size 20
Trim in 2 strands of embroidery floss

I looked at a lot of tatted baby shoe patterns, including my own, for inspiration, but nothing stirred in my brain. I found myself back at the square tatting element by Ann Valeire that I've used in other designs. These squares are the foundation of the top and sole of this design. The sock (or shoe) is tatted in Lizbeth size 20. Then I trimmed it 3/4 of the way around (none in the front) with the same trim I used on Butterbean's socks. 

I don't have any plans to share this pattern. You might say this is a prototype, but there was no time to improve the original design. If Butterbean's interest in this doll holds up, I plan to make another pair that incorporates the notes I've made for improvement of the design. That will be the pattern I hope to share with you. For now, she and her mommy are both very pleased, which helps me be content with this effort for now.

7 comments:

God's Kid said...

Sweet doll sock!! :)

muskaan said...

Cute :-))) Sorry about the glitch... can be so frustrating!
I love your Valerie adaptations & have them printed out. Now if only I can get time to tat them all.

Madtatter80 said...

So very sweet🥀

Jane McLellan said...

I can see why they'd be a one-off, but they do the job very well!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Adorable! I love that you're making something so special.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thank you for your kind comments, my friends.

Ninetta said...

Lovely and sweet!