Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Progress at Jon's Snowflake Challenge


As I mentioned earlier, Jon Yusoff posted a diagram at InTatters and challenged us to figure out how to make it work with thread. Well, I trashed the Maltese Ring version I showed you in my last post. It just wasn't turning out to be fun to tat. So here is my next effort. It isn't pretty as there are places where I cut things out and started up again. This particular piece will never be pretty as it's just my working piece. Once I work out all of the details, I'll tat it again and do a better job. One more round to go!

Part of the challenge is that the patterns will be shared at InTatters when we complete them. Several others are working on ideas. Three patterns have been posted so far and they are all different. It is amazing that we all started with the same drawing. I encourage you to visit the Challenge part of the forum at InTatters and check them out.

7 comments:

tattrldy said...

This is looking good. I find it as amazing as you how many different ways people interpreted that drawing. I printed it out but haven't had time to work on it. Your far ahead of me. Good job.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Blogger is still messing up the posting of comments. Your other comment got lost in cyber space when I told it to publish, tattrldy. So sorry.

I hope you are able to find the time to give the challenge a try. There are so many different ways to interpret the spaces.

Typstatting said...

You are keen I dont think I could do that good on you!!!

God's Kid said...

I like your design! :)

BSOTF said...

Both of them was very nice looking. You should have kept the other one & finished them both so you could have seen how wonderful they both looked & yet how different they both were from the same pattern.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

I'm glad you all like this so far. This is just my interpretation of the Jon's drawing, so I guess you would call it a joint design effort.

While I appreciate your point, BSOTF, I view tatting as relaxation and a source of personal pleasure. When a project fails to provide at least one of those, it is time for me to let it go.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

I think you could surprise yourself, TypsTatting. Take a look at the drawing and just think about how YOU would get from one ring to another and how would YOU form that big round shape that is part of the center. Your tool kit includes every technique and element you know how to tat.