Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Motif 11 of 25: Stiffening the Crown

Motif 11 of 25 in the 25 Motif Challenge of 2017
5 strands of Coats & Clark All Purpose Thread, article 210 color 83B
modified version of "Pinnacles"
Tatting Patterns and Designs, pp 92-94
by Gun Blomqvist & Elwy Persson

I still think I liked this crown best stopping before the final round (see previous post), but we opted to add just one peak of the final round. In this picture you see it upside down over a plastic-wrapped Jif Peanut Butter jar. After a major search of my home, this peanut butter jar was the only thing I could find that was the right size to hold the drying crown.

Working with five strands of this thread wasn't bad. It was also easy to un-tat when I made a mistake. The biggest drawback is the appearance of the picots. They have a sort of feathered look to them that is obvious even in the picture above. 

I hope to provide you a better picture of the finished crown. I wasn't thinking when I let it leave my house after being approved by its recipient. I think she plans to send me a picture of it in its place on the Christmas tree.

Happy tatting!

5 comments:

muskaan said...

Ooo, it looks regal! I agree about cutting down the last round - looks much better this way.
Picots do acquire that feathery effect when tatting with 2 or more wound threads. But I don't mind them - they add to the appeal :-)

God's Kid said...

Great crown!! :)

Jane McLellan said...

I would like to see it right way up. I also find myself searching for household objects to perform odd tasks, so I like the idea of a peanut butter jar acting as a form for a crown!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I also prefer the crown without the last round, but it's still beautiful! I love your creative use of a peanut butter jar!

Marilee Rockley said...

Clever way to allow the stiffened crown to dry in perfect shape. Looks wonderful!