Saturday, May 7, 2016

My 1st Morfo in Natural Light

Artificial light seems to rarely do justice to color, so I wanted to get at least one nice picture of Morfo in daylight. The colors are much truer in this picture.
The beads in the center of each wing, beneath the tatting, are clear iridescent beads. I love the way they pick up the color of nearby objects.

Someone asked me about bead sizes. I keep a collection of interesting beads, many of them were once part of necklaces. In fact, I used four different necklaces for seven different sizes of beads for this butterfly. I also used seed beads from a bag of inexpensive glass seed beads of mixed colors that I once picked up at Hobby Lobby. I've used the blue, purple, and pink ones from that assortment. The largest bead is the one in the body of the butterfly. It is 1.5 cm in length. I sewed it in vertically rather than horizontally as it is oblong. If you make the butterfly following Angela's instructions exactly, you will not use as many different sizes and colors of beads.

6 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I do that too, take pictures out side it works out well. Also using a tripod really helps inside too :) I love this beautiful butterfly you could use it as a brooch too!

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful butterfly , This butterfly is on my list to do and I hope I do the pattern justice as you have done.
Gorgeous beads too
Margaret

West Pine Creations said...

Sooooo pretty, I just looooooove it! The next one will be easier.

Robin Perfetti said...

It does look very pretty in natural light. Love the old wood an touch of green, I could imagine a real butterfly resting there.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

This looks stunning in natural light! And it does seem that one has creative license in placing the sewn-on beads, or the types of beads used. This butterfly is a great way to begin learning Ankars techniques!

I am happy to say that I finally tatted a 'double row' of beads! And how easy, by simply tatting the two beads 'together' where they 'meet' Thanks so much! I have to admit I don't think I've ever seen this effect used in any design before, and it doesn't seem to be mentioned even on 'bead instruction' sites. Now I have to practice making the 'plain' butterfly!

God's Kid said...

Looks awesome to me!! :)