Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tatting the other Yusoff Challenge Snowflakes

I thought it would be fun to tat the other designs that came out of the challenge and do them in the same size thread I used for my own so I can see how the sizes compare. I started with frakira's. She offers instructions for doing the center last and for doing it first. It is a Celtic design in which the chains weave in and out of one another on the outer rounds. As you can see from the string of rings and chains, I started out tatting the outer rounds first, but I had lots of trouble keeping the shuttles for the second set of rings and chains on the correct side of the other set. I also messed up the pattern of overlapping chains when I got the to tip and started around the next side. So that strip is headed for the Totally Useless SAL jar.

As you can also see, I've begun again starting with the center this time. I think it is great that frakira offers instructions for beginning both ways. It's a beautiful flake and I'm hoping my mind and hands will work together to do it right this time. I'll let you know how it comes out.

4 comments:

God's Kid said...

I love the center and can't wait to see it all done! :)

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

Thanks. This order is working much better for me. I've completed 1/4 of the outer round and it is going well.

IsDihara said...

So sorry to hear of your frustrating first start, but your "inside-out" attempt is beautiful! Looking forward to watching this one progress, as well as any others you care to share.

Hee, hee my word verification is "kiester" -- as in, I fell on my kiester after slipping on the ice. (Usually the words are absurd or nonsensical.)

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Any time I see blue and white together, I just melt! The center is lovely. I can't wait to see it all put together!