Friday, March 2, 2007

Trying new techniques and refreshing rusty ones.



Motif #6 and #7: I finished the green bookmark I mentioned in a previous post and completed another of Jan's flowers.

Motif #8: The Meshed Heart by Wally Sosa was a fun pattern to work up and great for practicing directional tatting. I'd become very rusty at that technique, but working Jan's flowers made me want to experiment a bit more and this heart was perfect for the task.

Motif #9: My first attempt at Daisy Picots with Ruth Perry's version of Jon's Daisy Picot Heart. I had a bit of trouble keeping some extra thread from appearing between the daisy picots so I definitely need to practice. That is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Motif #10: The only tatting I could find in Madame Worth's New Manual of Fancy Work. A Guide to the Various Kinds of Kensington Embroidery and Painting. Embroidery, Drawn Work, Lace Work, Knitting, Tatting, Crochet Work, Net Work, Etc., Etc., Etc. Including Practical Directions for Making Wax Flowers and painting on Silk, Etc., Etc. 200 Illustrations (what a name, huh?) was a picture of a ring only edging with no instructions. It looked rather intriguing though and this button cross was the result of my play. This was also my first attempt at tatting around a button. Placing the button was a great deal harder than I expected. My first effort was cut off and thrown in the trash can! This 2nd attempt came out a bit better. I found Madame Worth's book in pdf form at Antique Pattern Library

Happy Tatting!

1 comment:

Tat-a-Renda said...

Your collection of tatting are all beautiful. I enjoy looking at them.